Have you ever caught yourself wondering if Omega's are actually necessary to take for our health?
If you have, then you need to know they truly are crucial for our system to function effectively & optimally.
Did you know Omega-3 fatty acids are an important part of human cell membranes? The cell membrane or 'the plasma membrane' is a biological membrane that separates the interior of all of our cells from the outside environment or the extracellular space, which protects our cells from the outside world. Its easy to understand why we need to keep our cell membrane in tip-top shape to minimise the occurrence of disease & illness via proper supplementation & diet.
Omega's also have a number of other important functions especially for the heart & skin! They can increase 'good' HDL cholesterol & reduce triglycerides, blood pressure and the formation of arterial plaques. Omega's are also renowned for minimising inflammation, fighting depression while also improving skin & hair health.
There are many ways that Omega-3's can improve & protect skin health & provide anti-ageing benefits.
* They fight dry skin - by providing hydration & moisturising oils to the skin from within.
* Reduce the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles - by plumping & hydrating the skin from within.
* Protect against sun damage - many studies have shown Omega-3 to reduce the likeliness of sunburn (remember to still wear natural sunscreen, especially on your face).
* Reduce acne & blemish prone skin- anti-inflammatory & hormone regulating properties are the answer here.
* Minimise the appearance of red skin - Omega's improve the skin's barrier function, sealing in moisture and keeping out certain irritants.
* Stop flakey, itchy skin - Omega supplementation has shown a reduction in atopic dermatitis & psoriasis symptoms.
Now ask yourself these 4 questions:
1- Do you eat 2 servings of cold water, fatty fish & 1 being extra oily (e.g anchovies/small fish) a week?
2- Do you purchase locally sourced, wild caught fish?
3- Do you eat 2 servings of the following daily? Chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts or flax seeds?
4- Do you use flax seed oil daily?
If you answered NO to any of the above 4 questions, or are currently suffering with any of the above skin conditions, its time to start taking a supplement.
I want you to remember that not all supplements are made equal & it is SO important to buy clean, pure fish oil to gain maximum benefits & minimise any side effects!
Remember to always steer clear of the supplements from the supermarket, or places there isn't a naturopath to give advice. The products you find in the supermarket are very low dose & often don't work effectively & although they are sometimes at a lower price, they can actually do more harm then good, especially with fish oil.
Did you know fish oil that has become rancid can actually irritate the arteries instead of soothing them? So please purchase quality! I can't recommend Nordic Naturals Omega enough (I even take them myself).
Here is why (said by Nordic Naturals themselves):
"All Nordic Naturals’ fish oil products are offered in the triglyceride molecular form—the form naturally found in fish, and the form your body most easily absorbs. Everything we make is non-GMO and third-party tested, surpassing the strictest international standards for purity and freshness. Nordic Naturals fish oils are Friend of the Sea (FOS) certified and sustainably made in a zero waste facility powered by biofuel."
You can find Nordic Naturals Omega-3 on my website via the SHOP tab or click here.
It is available in both liquid and capsule form for your convenience.
Remember to take it with cold water at least 1 hour away from any other supplement to gain maximum benefits!
Also here are some dietary additions you can make to ramp up those amazing Omega's:
- Eat 1 tablespoon of organic flaxseed oil daily.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of chia seeds & hemp seeds onto salads, porridge, muesli, fruit or add to smoothies daily.
- Eat organic sardine's once a week.
- Enjoy fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring etc weekly.
- Eat more seafood in general.
Omega's are an important part of any anti-ageing health regime & help us to gain optimal wellness.
Remember these tips for ongoing health & wellness support for your whole system & if you think any family or friends might benefit, let them know too!
For more tips like this and health based information follow my Instagram @mungbean_health (you can click the Instagram icon at the bottom of this page) & subscribe to my mailing list!
*Always consult with your healthcare practitioner before starting anything new, especially if you’re taking medication. This information is not intended to 'cure' any diseases mentioned above.